Monday, August 6, 2012

College Humor Playing Cards

This is College Humor's logo
The project I worked on with College Humor has finally been released and so I finally get to talk about it! I was approached about doing some artwork for a College Humor themed deck of cards. The original idea was a little bit different than the final product, but I think we came to a successful conclusion.
Card back (designed by College Humor)
Over Skype, I discussed the original ideas with a group CH of writers. They came to me with the idea of giving the deck an internet theme since CH's main platform is the internet. I gave my own feedback on the ideas provided by the CH team but they had a pretty clear idea of what they wanted to do so it was mostly just tweaking and refining their original ideas.

Check out my new threads. Get it? Because they're SUITS??
Each suit would have it's own newly designed pips for each suit: Spades, mouse pointer; Hearts, power icon; Diamonds, wifi icon; Clubs, USB icon.

The royalty
Then each suit was assigned it's own theme for each of the face cards. Spades featuring various PC icons: the King with his mouse pointer swords; the Queen with her hourglass that everyone dislikes so much, including her; and the jack with his pointer finger for clicking links. Hearts featuring different computer accessories for faces: monitor King, keyboard Queen, and mouse Jack. Diamonds pay homage to various internet memes...can you guess them all?? And finally, Clubs referenced various adorable animal videos that saturate the interwebz, including a King of Corgi, a Queen of Cat, and a Jack of Sloth.


Jake and Amir
Jake & Amir and their show
Jake and Amir and their cards
Last up are the Jokers, which feature two of CH's most popular stars, Jake and Amir, from the sketch show titled Jake & Amir. The Fedora on Jake is an inside joke for all the Jake and Amir fans.

This was a really exciting project to get to work on and you can probably tell based on my portfolios that this is pretty different than the work I usually do. It was a real pleasure getting to work with the College Humor team and I really hope I get the chance to do more work with them in the future; such a blast and it felt extremely rewarding.

So by now I'm pretty sure you want your own deck, right? Of course you do! You can purchase your own deck of College Humor playing cards on the website Busted Tees by clicking HERE

2 comments:

  1. These are really clever and great designs! I'd buy this without even knowing what CH was, just based on the designs. Not sure I've ever seen a subtly different card deck like this. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ray! It took a while to zone in on final ideas for everything but I'm happy with how everything turned out. Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete