Monday, April 21, 2014

My First Job for Wizards of the Coast - Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition: Xorn

Xorn - Linked from the Escapist

About a week ago at PAX East, there was a Dungeons & Dragons panel where they spoiled some of the artwork for the upcoming 5th Edition. And since a painting of mine was shown before the audience in attendance for the panel, I think now is as good a time as ever to announce that I did my first work for D&D that will be published in the 5th edition Monster Manual!


Thanks to Mike Mearls for posting this photo from the D&D panel at PAX East on his Twitter!

The creature I painted is a classic D&D monster called 'Xorn', and since my artwork was included as part of the D&D panel it was put onscreen before a room-full of D&D fans, which is a pretty awesome feeling. D&D is a game I really admire and miss playing, I'm very happy that I finally got the chance to be a part of it's creation, especially in time for this brand new edition to come out.
Shot of the audience for the D&D panel at PAX East 2014. From Mike Mearls Twitter

This was my first job for Wizards of the Coast and I consider it a huge step-forward for my career. I'll be making another post soon to share some of my journey towards landing my first job on D&D for anyone who's interested.
Article on the Escapist on D&D 5th edition and showing some of the art, one of which is my Xorn!

Lastly, I just want to extend a big thank you to everyone who's taken the time to look at and critique my work, and give me feedback and encouragement. Extra special thanks to Jon Schindehette for giving me my chance to work on Dungeons & Dragons and to D&D veteran artist Chris Burdett who really helped guide me through my first job with Wizards and helped me keep my head on straight! This has been a huge goal of mine for a while now, but it's not time to slow down, gotta keep on moving ahead.

(I've only posted the versions of my artwork that I found online, I'll be sure to update this post with higher quality images once I get word that I'm allowed to).

2 comments: