Friday, October 21, 2011

Inspiration Spotlight #7: Breaking Bad

The finale season 4 of Breaking Bad aired recently and well...let me explain.
I started watching the show last year when a friend of mine recommended it to me and our other friends. My friend had all the seasons so we started watching from the start of season one. The first night we watched four 45-minute episodes in a row. Needless to say we were pretty hooked.
According to AMC's website:

"Breaking Bad follows protagonist Walter White (Bryan Cranston), a chemistry teacher who lives in New Mexico with his wife (Anna Gunn) and teenage son (RJ Mitte) who has cerebral palsy. White is diagnosed with Stage III cancer and given a prognosis of two years left to live. With a new sense of fearlessness based on his medical prognosis, and a desire to secure his family's financial security, White chooses to enter a dangerous world of drugs and crime and ascends to power in this world. The series explores how a fatal diagnosis such as White's releases a typical man from the daily concerns and constraints of normal society and follows his transformation from mild family man to a kingpin of the drug trade."
Now what might this have to do with what I do? Not much material-wise. But honestly this show is constantly amazing me with how great the writing is, the outstanding performances by the actors and the overall fun and intrigue I get out of watching. It really challenges myself to take a look at my own work and think "Am I working as hard as I can to make sure my own work is this well-done and interesting?" Seeing other artists (of all kinds) creating amazing works makes me want to be able to do the same with my work. Gotta keep climbing to reach the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment