Friday, September 23, 2011

Inspiration Spotlight #3 - Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Power Rangers...that's right, Power Rangers. But not just any Power Rangers, I don't really care for the sub-space, Eskimo-pirate versions that came later. It's all about the Mighty Morphin for me.
Like many people my age, one of the shows I grew up watching was Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and it was one of my favorites. Sure the quality wasn't all that great compared to what we have now, but at the time that show was the epitome of awesome. I remember drawing the Power Rangers a LOT when I was younger and I especially liked the green ranger's design. I think the fact that his costume was so different from the others really interested me, something about that gold triangle thing he wore was really cool to me. I'd like to take a moment to comment on how annoying it was that it was almost impossible to find the green ranger action figure too...moment completed

The zords were really awesome too, and you knew when they came out the Power Rangers meant business! From a concept art perspective, it's interesting how the dinosaur theme carries between their costumes and their zords, as well as how they all work together.
Lastly, and once again, I gotta mention the monsters! Say what you will about how awful some of them looked on TV, but I still think there are some gems in the monster designs that appeared in the show. I'm playing around with the idea of doing some redesigns of a couple of the monsters as a personal project, but we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment