Monday, January 9, 2012

Illustrating the Art Order Dragon

Jon Schindehette asked the Art Order community to take a swing at illustrating the beloved Art Order Dragon to use on business cards and T-shirts. I saw his post about it only minutes after posting it and I was really interested in giving it a try myself. Here's a walk-through of how I created my piece...
I had just recently gotten my hands on a base to use for my Sculpey maquettes so I was raring to give it a try. I quickly sketched my idea and made a sculpt and lit it.
I then started blocking in the shadows with ease due to having my Sculpey reference.
Next I carved out the silhouette and added some fun design elements to the image.
Here I start rendering the dragon, and it looks to be coming together nicely.
More detail...
Final detailing and added a bunch more dots and inserted the Art Order text.
I did another version where I edited out the background for Jon's use, but this was the final piece I came to for myself and I'm really happy with how it turned out. The Sculpey is turning out to be very useful and just as much fun. I hope you've enjoyed this step-by-step. I want to try and post more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment